During the Carol Service, the fourth Advent candle was lit – symbolising JOY. David introduced this theme by highlighting Christmas adverts from two major High Street stores, both claiming to bring joy at Christmas. Then we turned to the New Testament to find the source of true joy:
Jesus has come – he is the Saviour, the Messiah, the Lord and he brings real joy.
1. Saviour: we have all sinned and need to be rescued. Jesus the Saviour and Deliverer has come.
2. Messiah: this means the Chosen One, the Promised One. He was promised repeatedly throughout the Old Testament – with more than 60 prophecies that the Messiah would come. After around 400 years of silence, now the prophecies are fulfilled and he is here!
3. Lord: this term was used of God the Father:
This means that the angel was declaring Jesus to be ‘God with us’ – Emmanuel.
Joy is found in a person – Jesus – who is Saviour, Messiah and Lord.
- Do you know Jesus the Saviour, Messiah and Lord?
- Do you know his joy?
- Don’t confuse happiness (temporary and based on circumstances) with joy (lasting and deep):
HAPPINESS HAPPENS; JOY ABIDES.
May you and your family know and share hope, peace, love and joy this Christmas and always.